When it comes to the weekend and trying to stay healthy I’ll admit…I struggle, my ultimate weakness being southern fried chicken, I mean really…who can resist that glorious blend of 11 herbs and spices…not me!
Imagine my delight when I stumbled across a recipe by the Hemsley Sisters called Pablo’s Chicken, a gluten free, reduced fat version. It’s easy and cheap to prepare, most of the ingredients you’ll probably already find in your store cupboard, an added bonus is that with the use of baking parchment…minimal washing up. This spice mix can be made in batch to be used whenever you fancy and choose any cut of chicken you like, breast if you fancy a burger, strips if you fancy goujons etc and serve with whatever you like. It’s the ultimate fake-away dish, give it a whirl this weekend.
Serves 3, Gluten Free.
– 180g Ground Almonds.
– 1 Egg.
– 6 Pieces of Chicken, thighs and legs or whatever you fancy.
– Salt and Pepper to taste.
– Low cal cooking spray.
– 3 teaspoons of Paprika or Cayenne.
– 1 teaspoon of dried Thyme.
– 1 teaspoon of dried Oregano.
– 1 teaspoons of Garlic powder.
– 1 teaspoon of Onion powder.
1. Mix the ground almonds and spice mix together in a bowl, in a second bowl, beat an egg.
2. Dip the chicken pieces one at a time in the egg, then coat in the spice mix.
3. I did find this recipe left a lot of spice mix left over, place this in a container and save for next time.
4. Lay chicken on a baking tray which has been lined with baking parchment, coat in low cal cooking spray, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Bake in a preheated over at 180C for 45 minutes or until golden.