I think we can all agree that pies are the ultimate comfort food however the process of making one has often seemed lengthy and complicated to me. Using a few short cuts (ready rolled puff pastry) I’ve come up with an easy yet delicious recipe. Ideal for a cheap, no fuss, one pan, satisfying weekday dinner the whole family can enjoy.
– Ready rolled puff pastry, roughly half a pack 180g.
– 3 Chicken Thighs.
– 2 Leeks, roughly chopped.
– 1 Cup of frozen peas (optional).
– 1 Chicken oxo cube.
– 2 Tablespoons of chicken gravy granules.
– 1 Teaspoons of oregano.
– Salt and pepper.
1. Lightly coat an oven proof dish that has raised edges with oil.
2. Spread the bottom of the dish evenly with leeks and place chicken thighs on top of leeks, season well with salt and pepper.
3. Cook in a preheated oven at 190C for 30 minutes, after 30 minutes remove the skin plus bones and shred the chicken. Place shredded chicken back into the dish and mix in the leeks whilst seasoning.
4. Dissolve the oxo cube and gravy granules in a ¾ pint of boiling water, stir in oregano and pour over the chicken and leek mixture.
5. If you feel your chicken, leek and gravy mixture needs bulking, add a cup of frozen peas.
6. Cover the top of the dish with puff pastry, score a couple of times and place back in the oven to cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden.